The home of the Orcoquisac Indians. An East - West trail across the region traveled by Alonso De Leon in 1690 became the "La Bahia" or "Lower Road" of the 18th century and the Opelousas Road of the 19th. At the point this road crossed the Trinity the Spaniards made the first settlement, Atascosito, about 1758. Napoleonic exiles sought refuge here in 1818, Anglo-Americans came, 1821 - 1830. The town, established May 5, 1831, as the "Villa de la Santisima Trinidad de la Libertad" (City of the Blessed Trinity of Liberty) gave its name to the municipality and to the county created in 1836. Liberty County in 1837 included all of Tyler and parts of Hardin, Chambers, San Jacinto and Polk counties. The town of Liberty, incorporated June 7, 1837, has remained the county seat.
In memory of
the pioneer settlers of the region
Patrick C. Jack, Claiborne West, James Morgan
Delegates to the convention of 1832
Patrick C. Jack, Samuel Whiting, William Hardin, David G. Burnet
Delegates to the convention of 1833
Henry Millard, George M. Patrick, A.B. Hardin, James B. Woods
Delegates to the consultation in 1835
A.B. Hardin, James B. Wood, M.B. Menard
Signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence.
The soldiers from Liberty County who fought at San Jacinto and elsewhere for and in defense of the Republic of Texas.