Two small houses shared this choice corner location in 1866, but after 1875, photographs reveal the unmistakable steeply pitched roof and central gable of this splendid Gothic Revival style residence.
Expansion and remodeling during the 1890s added the bay windows, rear gable, and decorative bargeboards that now ornament the front façade. Pioneer businessman Charles L. Dahler owned the home in the 1880s, followed by banker Thomas Duncan in 1897, and Missouri Mining Company superintendent John Henry Pankey in 1917.
Although Pankey, his wife Catherine, and their three sons sometimes lived on site at the mines, they always considered this spacious and appealing residence their true home. The Pankey family retained ownership until 1980, when the familiar landmark became home to the law firm of attorney Chester Lloyd Jones and, more recently, the Madison County Title Co.
This property contributes to the Virginia City Historic District · Listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior · In cooperation with the Montana Historical Society