The Steeple Upon entering the village of LeRoy, one of the first sights to be seen is the steeple of the First Presbyterian Church. This was erected in 1866 following a vote by the congregation in 1854 to replace the original bell tower. Including the weather vane, the steeple stretches 135 feet in the air. The bell was cast in 1847, and for many years was the primary means of signaling the village in times of emergency. In 1976, the stteple was extensively repaired through the generosity or Mr. and Mrs. J.W. Jones, in memory of their daughter, Nancy Jones Davis. The Church The First Presbyterian Church of LeRoy was organized in 1812. As the Second Church of Christ in Caledonia, the congregation affiliated with the Presbyterian CHurch in 1814. In 1825, work was started in the existing church structure. Episcopal Bishop J. Henry Hobart preached the first sermon in the completed building September 22, 1826. The original structure was lengthened 20 feet in 1839. Subsequent additions have included a church hall, kitchen, and classrooms. Although the appearence of the building has been modified through the years, the original concern for functional simplicity has been retained.