Original site of the Coronado Ferryboat Terminal which operated ferries between San Diego and Coronado from 1886 until the opening of the bridge in 1969. Equipped to accommodate passengers, horses and buggies, and later automobiles, the ferry system was a way of life for Coronadans. Upon cessation of the service the land was sold to private developers. Through the efforts of three residents, Patty Schmidt, Sally Krummenacher, and Wendy Longley-Cook, this park was created. Opening in 1986, the 100th anniversary of Coronado's founding, it was named Centennial Park.