On February 28, 1899, the U.S. Army completed construction of the post Hospital for the garrison of Fort Morgan. At a cost of $7,500.00, the original structure consisted of a two story modern medical facility that was heated by mineral oil. Due to the continual increase of the quantity of men at the post, the structure was modified and expanded in March 1908. On January 22, 1919, the Post Hospital was completely destroyed by an out of control grease fire in the hospital's kitchen. With the costly financial loss of the structure's destruction and the substantial reduction in the quantity of soldiers in the Army after the end of WWI, the Army opted not to rebuild the Post Hospital and abandoned the site.
Completed on February 28, 1899 at a cost of $1,700.00, the Hospital Steward's Quarters was constructed from a standard U.S. Army plan utilized at Army posts across the country. The original plans included a front parlor, dining area, two bedrooms, a second story wash closet, a porch that wrapped around three sides of the house, and a detached kitchen directly behind the house which was accessed by the back porch.
However, the house constructed differed from the standard plan by eliminating the side porch and by offsetting the kitchen to take advantage of the bay breezes to help cool the kitchen.