The city of Albany is home to six National Historic Landmarks and more than 4,000 properties listed on the New York State and National Register of Historic Places.
In 2015, Albany was designated a Preserve America Community by President Obama in recognition of the city's outstanding stock of historic resources and efforts made at national, state, and local levels to preserve Albany's history for future generations.
1. James Hall Laboratory
James Hall (1811-1898), "The Father of Paleontology" and first director of the NYS Museum, lived and worked in Albany from 1843 to 1898. His laboratory, built in 1852, is at the north edge of Lincoln Park and was designed by renowned architects Andrew Jackson Downing and Calvert Vaux.
2. Schuyler Mansion Historic Site
The Schuylers were among Albany's founding families. Built by Gen. Philip Schuyler between 1761 and 1765, the mansion hosted a stream of high-profile guests, including George Washington and Alexander Hamilton, who was Schuyler's son-in-law. Hamilton married Elizabeth Schuyler at the mansion in 1780.
3. USS Slater
The USS Slater
is the best existing example of a destroyer escort used during World War II. This ship and others like it were essential to Allied victory during the war. The
is considered one of the most authentically restored warships in the United States.
4. New York State Capitol
Built between 1867 and 1899, the New York State Capitol was, at $25 million, the most costly building ever constructed in the country by that time. Incorporating the designs of several prominent architects and hundreds of stone carvers, the building is an unusual amalgam of distinct architectural styles.
5. St. Peter's Church
Built between 1859 and 1876, this is the third church on this site, with the earliest dating to 1704. Designed by British-born architect Richard Upjohn and his son, Richard M. Upjohn, the building includes many noteworthy stained-glass windows and gargoyles, and its 180-foot tower is considered "one of the most elaborate and impressive of the decorated French Gothic on the continent."
6. Fort Orange Archaeological Site
Built by the Dutch in 1624, Fort Orange was the first permanent European settlement in New York State. The Fort's location near the crossroads of the Hudson and Mohawk Rivers made it the most important center of diplomacy and trade between the Dutch colonists and Native peoples in northeastern America. More than 20,000 artifacts were collected from the site during salvage excavations undertaken in 1970-1971.