(Front of monument)
Fairfield on the Thames / Fairfield sur la Thames
Here stood the village of Fairfield, destroyed by invading American forces following the Battle of the Thames. , 5th October, 1813.
Its inhabitants, Delaware Indian exiles brought from Ohio to Canada in 1792 by Moravian missionaries, were re-established on the opposite bank of the river after the Peace of 1814.
Ici était situé le village de Fairfield, détruit par les forces d'invasion américaines après la bataille de la Thames, le 5 octobre 1813. Ses habitants, des Indiens Delawares exilés que des missionnaires moraves avaient amenés de l'Ohio en 1792, furent réinstallés sur la rive opposée de la rivière après le traité de 1814.
(Back of monument)
The Fairfield Mission
On this spot, David Zeisberger, a missionary of the Unity of Brethren, commonly called the Moravian Chruch, first preached the Gospel of Christ on 8th May, 1792. This mission to the Indians , interrupted by the War of 1812, was resumed, after peace was signed, at New Fairfield, across the river, and carried on they the Moravians until 1903, by the Methodist Church of Canada 1903 to 1925, and since then by the United Church of Canada.
This historic site was given to the United Church of Canada in loving memory of Neil A. McGeachy
and Agnes E. McGeachy by their son William A. McGeachy.