Pineville, located on the Edmund Murphy Land Grant, part of the original Post du Rapide, offered a variety of goods and services to early settlers. Traders Beauboeuf, Poussin, and David brought the first stores to Pineville where the streets became the hub of early commerce. Shops included Christian Baden's Cooperage, Theodore Schaedel's Furniture and Building Trade, bootmaking and jewelry
shops and Beauboeuf's Famous Pork Sausage. Louis Abadie furnished meat from his market to riverboats. The Boyce and David families played major roles in early developement of Pineville. C.W. Boyce, Police Juror and Editor of the Red River Democrat, lived in the center of the block in 1883, his brother-in-law, Ben Turner built the first brick store at Main and Riverfront streets. Boyce's son-in-law, Alphonse David built his home at Main and David streets.