Pineville today encompasses the first central Louisiana settlement begun on this spot in the early 1700's. Post Du Rapide took its name from "el rapido", the rapides in Spanish and "les rapide", from the French. The first levee was built along the river following the 1927 Flood. This was the beginning of the 100 block of Main Street, The second levee was constructed after the 1945 Flood and the businesses that once thrived on the banks of Red River vanished. Among them were the T.N. Price Filling Station, one of the first auto repair centers in Pineville. Rapides Syrup Works, David's Warehouse, Liberto's Fruits, and The Pineville News, owned by Bill Skeels. Today only a residence and the Glass Specialties business remain at what was once the hub of area commerce.