The Edison Electric Fountain was dedicated on Tuesday October 22, 1929 as part of the Erie observance of the fiftieth anniversary of Thomas A. Edison's discovery of the incandescent light. The fountain was conceived by public spirited individuals and paid for by Erie City Council, Erie Chamber of Commerce, Presidents Council of Erie, Electric League of Erie and over one hundred business and individual sponsors.
The fountain is almost a replica of that in Atlantic City, with the exception that Erie's is larger. Only Erie organizations participated in the construction of the fountain. Henry Shenk Co. was general contractor, Garvin Electric Co. wired the fountain and James Purcell did the plumbing. All equipment was designed and furnished by the General Electric Co. The bronze tablet was contributed by the Erie Bronze Co.
"While communities have arranged for spectacular displays, parades, concerts and that sort of thing, Erie has hit upon a more conservative and practical method for expression of our appreciation to the great inventor, Thomas Edison. We believe that Erie's Fountain of Light pictures well our feelings as a community, and is something that we can hand down to posterity as a permanent memorial to this great genius; and what is even more important, this tribute is erected during his lifetime." W.
Pitt Gifford - President of the Chamber of Commerce
October 22, 1929.
The original octagon pool around the fountain was removed in 1988. The fountain was renovated in 2016 including new electrical, plumbing and fountain systems. The outline of the pool was recreated with a perimeter of water spray bollards.