The Bell Tower and Carillon is a gift to St. Jude the Apostle Parish from Herbert and Audrey Emig Sweny and children in memory of the Deceased Sweny and Emig Families.
The three bronze bells originally hung in the tower of St. Michael's Church, Erie, until fire destroyed that church in 1973. At that time, the bells were transferred to Gannon University from whom St. Jude's secured them in 1990.
The middle bell is the oldest of the three, having been cast in 1855 as the original bell for St. Michael's Church. Weighing 1,000 pounds, it is cast in the key of G Sharp and is dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel. Its single peal served St. Michael's Church until two more bells were added in 1902.
The largest bell, weighing 2,000 pounds and set in the key of E, is dedicated to St. James. It and the smallest bell, weighing 600 pounds and cast in the key of B, were cast by the McShane Bell Foundry, Baltimore, Maryland, in 1902 and placed in the tower of St. Michael's Church. The three bells were among a handful of items salvaged when the fire completely destroyed the church in 1973.
With gratitude to the Sweny and Emig Families for this gift, to the foresight of St. Michael's Parish in having commissioned such magnificent bells and to the glory of God for whom these bells toll, this tower is dedicated
December 8, 1994, the Feast of the Immaculate Conception of Mary.
Monsignor Henry A. Kriegel,