The pub was built on the side of a monastery which dated to 1300 where, amongst other duties, the monks brewed ale. This site was an island between the River Thames and River Fleet which still runs under the pub that is now little more than a stream.
'The Boars Head' which was built' in 1605. It survived the Great Fire of London in 1666. This was because the property was of stone and brick whereas the surrounding neighbouring premises were of wood
In approx 1700 the S.G. Mooney & Son brewery chain of Dublin, Ireland purchased 'The Boars Head' and it became the first Irish pub outside Ireland. It was fitted out in traditional Irish style which included a clock by Thomas Tompion (1638-1713, 67 Fleet Street) which was later stolen, now replaced with a replica. The pub also became the first pub outside Ireland to have bottled Guinness and later draft.
1918 at the end of the Great War the printers who came back from the war had the pubs name changed to 'The Tipperary' from the song 'It's a Long Way', which name it remains to this day. The name 'The Boar's Head' was retained to the first floor bar.
Greene King purchased 'The Tipperary' in the 1960's and the pub was closed for a period of time for the office development which surrounds the site. Greene King then refitted the interior to the style of Mooneys days. All
the panelling, fixtures,and fittings, have been retained, both bars to this day retain there original character of the 1700's