The original site of St. Charles Academy was the northeast corner of Ryan and Kirby, part of the Roman Catholic complex of church, convent and school destroyed in the Great Fire of 1910. Opening in 1882, St. Charles Academy was staffed by the Sisters of the Marianites of the Holy Cross. In 1913, this site in the Margaret Place subdivision was selected for a new St. Charles Academy. The Sisters constructed a raised two- story, red brick building designed by the New Orleans firm of Favrot and Livaudais. The school served all students until the Immaculate Conception Elementary School opened in 1950, with St. Charles Academy serving as a high school and boarding school for girls from all over Southwest Louisiana. In 1970, St. Charles Academy, Landry Memorial High School, and Sacred Heart High merged to form St. Louis Catholic High School. The St. Charles building no longer saw students, but served as a convent for the remaining Marianite Sisters. The Academy building, much of it disused, was condemned and demolished in the spring of 1974.