1. c. 1901 Kensington B & O Railway Station. [Photo by Frank Chapman] The Kensington Train Station was built in 1891 and still services the Metropolitan branch of MARC Trains.
2. c. 1949 3758 & 3762 Howard Avenue These buildings were renovated to house shops and studios on Antique Row.
3. c. 1930 The Kensington Volunteer Fire Department [Courtesy KVFD]. Volunteer fire fighters began organizing in 1894, and stored their equipment in various barns until they were able to move into the rear of the Armory in 1927. They moved to their present location on Connecticut Avenue at Plyers Mill Road in 1947.
4. c.1940 Howard Avenue has served as the commercial area in Kensington since the town began. The buildings have housed various businesses, and in the 1960s, Howard Avenue began to develop into Antique Row.
5. 1977 The Noyes Library at 10237 Carroll Place was established by Brainard Warner and Crosby Noyes in 1893 to serve Kensington residents. The oldest public library in the Washington, DC, area, it later was converted into a children's library within the Montgomery County Library system and is partly supported by the Noyes Children's Library Foundation.
6. 1927 Dedication of the National Guard Armory at 3710 Mitchell Street. It housed the National Guard, the Fire Department, and
then the Motor Vehicle Administration. It was purchased from the state and has been the Kensington Town Hall since 1976.
7. c. 1901 10123 Connecticut Avenue A new Warner Memorial Presbyterian Church takes the place of the earlier one.
Courtesy Kensington Historical Society,
View Walking Tours at www.kensingtonhistory.org