At this site, on December 8, 1842, the Lutheran Church of Fountaindale was consecrated by pastor Solomon Sentman. The church was built on land owned by Joseph and Isaac Baugher, and previously owned by Daniel Sprenkle. In 1842, there were 55 members, and the membership grew to its peak of 95 by late 1843. In 1855, a new Lutheran Church was built at Fairfield, and by 1859, the last know Pastor here, Henry Bishop, no longer reported Fountaindale as one of his congregations.
On April 7, 1871, the Fairfield Church authorized the sale of the building and its contents. Many descendants of these early congregations still live in the area.
The earliest known burial here was Daniel Sprenkle, A revolutionary War veteran who died on November 6, 1821. The may be the reason why this site was chosen for the Church and cemetery. On July 3, 1863, a Confederate soldier died from wounds he received at Gettysburg and was buried here.
Fountaindale Lutheran Church and the Civil War
In October of 1862, Church member Sandford Schroder, who owned a local sawmill and tannery, was taken prisoner near here by Confederate General J.E.B. Stuart's cavalry as a result of his "uncomplimentary words" towards them. He was released in poor health at the end of the war.
June 28, 1863, twenty five Confederate soldiers under Lieutenant John Chamberlayne, Pegram's Artillery entered the church during morning services. They captured 20 horses, however upon their attempt to escape, Lt. Chamberlayne and six of his men were captured by a detachment of Cole's Cavalry, Company C, under Lieutenant William Horner, near the brick schoolhouse by the church. Ten other Confederate soldiers were later captured near Fairfield by Fountaindale resident and Union Private Henry Turle, of Company C, Cole's cavalry.
Sign erected by Fairfield Troop 76 BSA April 2014