In 1864, the fledgling Nevada State Government was comprised of ten counties with twelve school districts, eight school houses, and eighteen schools. This was a time when no one seriously contemplated making Nevada a permanent home as people followed the drift of mining excitement as new strikes occurred. The condition of public education was unsettled and irregular in the boom towns and mining camps.
Fixed sources of public school revenue were nomminal at best. Due to the mounting pressures of fiscal and social hardships a young teacher in Genoa, Miss Mary E. Davies, resigned from public education and opened her own private school, the Douglas Seminary.
Organized on September 12, 1881, the Douglas Seminary existed a short distance beyond this point. Having a monthly tuition of eleven dollars and fifty cents, the Douglas Seminary focused on punctual attendance, strict discipline, morals, and manners of the pupil. Producing many fine graduates the Douglas Seminary was greatly admired. The Carson Tribune publicly credited Miss Davies as Principal with the school's success, "It is supposed that the trustees will have to call on Miss D. to take charge of the public schools and it will be well for the town if such proves the case."
Dedicated on July 28, 2012 (6017) Snowshoe Thompson Chapter 1827 Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus