City of Alexandria Est. 1749A visit to George Washington's Mount Vernon estate, about nine miles to the south, has long been viewed as a patriotic duty of Americans. In the late 19th century, visitors often traveled there from Washington by boat, stopping first in Alexandria. By 1887, Alexandria business leaders established a "Mount Vernon Avenue Association" to lobby for construction of a federal roadway to reach the estate. As conceived, the park-like boulevard would travel south from Alexandria, passing through a rural area of woodlands and scenic vistas. This route would periodically incorporate a series of landscaped pavilions and monuments, where visitors would learn the history, industry and people associated with each of the 13 original states. But in the years just before the 20th century, a trolley line was built, passing through downtown Alexandria and providing inexpensive travel to Mount Vernon, thwarting the roadway plan.
|Placed By||City of Alexandria|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, April 2nd, 2018 at 1:02pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 322243 N 4297144|
|Decimal Degrees||38.80515000, -77.04711667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 48.309', W 77° 2.827'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 48' 18.54" N, 77° 2' 49.62" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||202, 703, 571|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling West|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 106 N Washington St, Alexandria VA 22314, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.