Retail in Alexandria

Retail in Alexandria (HM26II)

Location: Alexandria, VA 22314
Country: United States of America

N 38° 48.294', W 77° 2.763'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 45 views
Inscription

City of Alexandria Est. 1749

The 500 block of King Street has long been associated with retail trade in Alexandria. In the late 18th century, Adam Lynn, Sr. owned the quarter-block at this corner of King and St. Asaph Streets, where he operated a small bake shop selling biscuits and breads. Upon his death in 1786, his holdings passed to his children and, with the cooperation of his sisters, Adam Lynn, Jr. built several homes and "tenements" on the two streets, providing the resources for him to become a major speculator in Alexandria real estate. Lynn earned his income as a silversmith, jeweler, watch and clockmaker, and his remarkable skills as an artisan were surpassed only by his business savvy and risk-taking during the early 1800s. This period was known as the "Era of Good Feelings," a time when Alexandria's economy prospered. When the "Panic of 1819" struck, Lynn was hit particularly hard and he ultimately lost all of his properties at public auction. However, Lynn's dedication to Alexandria never wavered, and he was an important participant in the political, military and religious activities of the City. Despite his setback, he remained a much-loved and respected member of the community until his death in 1835.

Jewish Alexandria
By the early 1850s, more than thirty Jewish families, most from Germany, had moved to Alexandria seeking dignity,



freedom and fortune in America. These new immigrants were all involved in the retail trade, selling clothing, shoes, dry goods and scrap in small shops and emporiums along King Street and its adjacent side streets. Within several years of migrating to Alexandria, the close-knit community had formed a Literary Society, Hebrew burial ground and two congregations for worship—one reform, one Orthodox. By 1871, a permanent temple was constructed in the 100 block of North Washington Street, and the newly hired Rabbi began delivering his sermons in English. Temple Beth El served Alexandria's Jewish community at this location for 84 years.

Among the many Jews who succeeded in Alexandria was Joseph Hayman (born Hait) and his descendants who maintained a 90-year retail dynasty in the city, starting out with a small variety shop at 188 North Royal Street and ending with Hayman's legendary store for ladies wear.
Details
HM NumberHM26II
Tags
Placed ByCity of Alexandria
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Monday, April 2nd, 2018 at 10:02am PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)18S E 322335 N 4297114
Decimal Degrees38.80490000, -77.04605000
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 38° 48.294', W 77° 2.763'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds38° 48' 17.64" N, 77° 2' 45.78" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)202, 703, 571
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling East
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 604 King St, Alexandria VA 22314, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. What year was the marker erected?
  9. This marker needs at least one picture.
  10. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  11. Is the marker in the median?