History of the Dominican Society of the Bibliophiles' House

History of the Dominican Society of the Bibliophiles' House (HM26FP)

Location: Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional 10210
Country: Dominican Republic

N 18° 28.416', W 69° 52.962'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 6 views
Inscription

Sociedad Dominicana de Bibliófilos, Inc.

Historia de la casa de la Sociedad Dominicana de Bibliófilos
El inmueble que ocupa la Sociedad Dominicana de Bibliófilos es una antigua casa de piedra construida en los albores del siglo XVI, ubicada en la calle Las Damas, la primera calle trazada en la ciudad primada de América. La identificación de esta casa consta en el censo del vecindario de Santo Domingo realizado en 1528.Fue esta una de las dos "amplias casas" que "poseyó en esta ciudad de Santo Domingo el veedor Gaspar de Astudillo, quien en su día fuera honrado por el monarca Carlos I de España con el cargo de regidor perpetuo del Ayuntamiento de nuestra urbe, a pesar de la enconada oposición que a ese nombramiento hizo siempre la corporación municipal santodominguense", según la afirmación de Fray Vicente Rubio, O.P.Gaspar de Astudillo nació en Burgos, España, hacia 1485 y se trasladó a Santo Domingo en 1509, formando parte del séquito del Almirante don Diego Colón. Ostentó los cargos públicos de regidor del Ayuntamiento, elevado más tarde a perpetuidad, y veedor de las fundiciones de oro y plata.Astudillo estuvo casado con Catalina de Venegas, dama de doña María de Toledo, y tras enviudar, casó con "otra mujer de Castilla", doña María de Fuentes. Tras el fallecimiento de Astudillo,



el 27 de abril de 1553, a esta última le correspondió donar en su nombre y en el de su difunto esposo los bienes de ambos - cuatro pares de casas, dos solares y otras tierras - a la Catedral de Santo Domingo, bajo cuyo suelo yacen sus restos. Para el año 1977 la referida casa le fue cedida a la Sociedad Dominicana de Bibliófos por el Gobierno Dominicano, en una muestra de apoyo y de confianza a la gestión de la misma a favor de la cultura histórica y literaria del pueblo dominicano. Se iniciaron en ese mismo año los trabajos de restauración de la vetusta casa, y la Sociedad Dominicana de Bibliófolos la ocupa desde el 23 de 1978.
English:
History of the Dominican Society of the Bibliophiles' house
The building occupied by the Dominican Society of Bibliophiles is an old stone house built in the early sixteenth century, located on Las Damas street, the first street traced in the oldest city in America. The identification of this house is given in the census of the neighborhood of Santo Domingo made in 1528.This was one of the two "large houses" that "were possessed in this city of Santo Domingo by overseer Gaspar de Astudillo, who in his day was honored by king Carlos I of Spain with the position of perpetual alderman of our City Hall, despite the bitter opposition to this appointment always made



by the local municipal corporation"
according to an affirmation made by Fray Vicente Rubio, O.P. Gaspar de Astudillo was born in Burgos, Spain around 1485 and came to Santo Domingo in 1509 as part of the entourage of Admiral Don Diego Colón. He held the public office of alderman of the City Hall, later
designated to perpetuity, and overseer of gold and silver foundries. Astudillo was married to Catalina de Venegas, lady of Doña María de Toledo, and after being widowed he married "another woman from Castille" María de Fuentes. After the death of Astudillo, on April 27, 1553, the latter donated in her name and that of her late husband, their assets - four pairs of houses, two plots and other lands - to the Cathedral of Santo Domingo, under whose floor their remains lie. In 1977 the house was donated to the Dominican Society of Bibliophiles by the Dominican government in show of the support and confidence in its management in favor of the historical and literary culture of the Dominican people. That same year, the restoration works began in the old house, and the Dominican Society of Bibliophiles occupies it since April 23, 1978.
Details
HM NumberHM26FP
Tags
Placed BySociedad Dominicana de Bibliófilos, Inc
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Friday, March 30th, 2018 at 10:01pm PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)31N E 166021 N 0
Decimal Degrees18.47360000, -69.88270000
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 18° 28.416', W 69° 52.962'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds18° 28' 24.96" N, 69° 52' 57.72" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling South
Closest Postal AddressAt or near Calle Las Damas, Santo Domingo Distrito Nacional 10210, DO
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. What year was the marker erected?
  9. This marker needs at least one picture.
  10. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  11. Is the marker in the median?