In August 1863, Archbishop Joseph Sadoc Alemany, O.P. opened St. Mary's College at this location with a faculty of two diocesan priests, four laymen, and two student teachers in August 1868. At the invitation of Archbishop, Brother Justin McMahon and seven Christian Brothers took charge of St. Mary's. The Christian Brothers have manifested the principle characterized by the best educational institutions; Excellence.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 772
Plaque placed by The California State Park Commission in cooperation with St Mary's College, its alumni, and the California Historical Society, September 29 1962