Anti-Slavery Congregation in the ConfederacyThis was the only United Brethren Church that the anti-slavery denomination opened within the Confederacy during the Civil War. It was constructed on the northeastern side of Green Hill along Joes Creek northwest of Edom in 1833 as Green Hill Methodist Episcopal Meeting House. In 1863 during the Civil War, local members of the United Brethren in Christ bought the church from the Methodists for $500. The United Brethren moved the building to a rocky field on the Abraham Rolston farm about one-and-a-half miles north of Singers Glen on present-day Turleytown Road. Virginia Bishop J.J. Glossbrenner brought window glass from West Virginia through Federal lines. The relocated building was dedicated on December 27, 1863, as Salem United Brethren in Christ Church. William J. Miller, a local preacher and miller, helped to organize Salem Church.
|Series||This marker is part of the Virginia Civil War Trails series|
|Placed By||Virginia Civil War Trails|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, March 26th, 2018 at 1:04pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 681702 N 4269109|
|Decimal Degrees||38.55186667, -78.91481667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 33.112', W 78° 54.889'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 33' 6.7200000000001" N, 78° 54' 53.34" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 9768 Singers Glen Rd, Singers Glen VA 22850, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.