The Old Parish Church of Salamanca

The Old Parish Church of Salamanca (HM269A)

Location: Salamanca, Guanajuato 36700 Salamanca
Country: Mexico

N 20° 34.187', W 101° 12.055'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 7 views
Inscription
Parroquia Antigua
Este templo, el primero fundado en la Villa
Salamanca en la categoría y rango de Parroquia el 24 de agosto de 1603 época en que se coloca la primera piedra y es concluida la obra en 1690 de estilo barroco general. Fue dedicado a San Bartolomé Apóstol, de ahí que su nombre oficial durante mucho tiempo fue el de Parroquia de San Bartolomé. En la actualidad ostenta el nombre de Rectoría de la Santísima Trinidad, aunque por tradición popularmente conocido como Parroquia Antigua.La artística fachada de la Parroquia Antigua data del siglo XVIII, o sea del año de 1740, cuando la Villa de Salamanca contaba con mayores
recursos económicos. Ésta ha sido considerada como uno de los mejores ejemplos que existen en
México del denominado estilo churrigueresco español salmantino, debido a la desbordado y rica ornamentación artística que semeja un verdadero encaje de la naturaleza, presentando columnas, estipites y salomónicas armonizadas con detalles florales, medallones, nichos, rostros, personajes indígenas y españoles, frutos, flora y fauna y otros símbolos. El trabajo que los indígenas otomíes que habitaron esta región dejó grabado en la cantera de la fachada es una majestuosa obra de arte, sin duda alguna, es un retablo exterior labrado en piedra de cantera rosada. Además,



en el interior del templo destaca el piso en duela de madera de mezquite, algunas esculturas religiosas de talla de madera de Don Inés Olivares, famoso escultor salmantino, entre ellas el "Cristo de Olivares", varias pinturas al óleo y los altares, como el mayor, de estilo neoclásico del siglo XIX. A un costado de la Parroquia Antigua se construyó, en 1891, una capilla dedicada a la Virgen del Rosario, aunque se conoce como Capilla de Santa Marta. Esta particular construcción resalta por su estilo singular neogótico, siendo el único recinto religioso en la ciudad de Salamanca que ostenta este tipo de arquitectura europea medieval, aunque también lo hay en la comunidad de San José de Mendoza, en su Parroquia.
English:
The Old Parish Church of Salamanca(Antigua Parroquia)
This church was the first parroquia (parish church) founded at the Villa de Salamanca in August 24, 1603 when the first stone was laid. Concluded in 1690 in a general baroque style, it was dedicated to San Bartolomé Apóstol, hence its official name during a long time as Parroquia de San Bartolomé. At present, its boasts the name of Rectoría de la Santísima Trinidad, although, traditionally it is popularly know as Parroquia Antigua.The facada of the Parroquia Antigua dates back to the 18th century, from 1740, when the Villa of Salamanca



had bigger economic resources. It has been considered as one of the best examples in Mexico of so-called churriguresco style, owing to its overwhelming and rich artistic ornamentation that truly looks like lace from nature, presenting columns, estipites and salomonic harmonized with floral details, medallions, niches, faces, indigenous and Spanish characters, fruits, flora and fauna and other symbols. The work of the indigenous otomies that inhabited this region was left carved on quarry at the front a majestic work of art, an exterior altarpiece carved in pink quarry. In addition, in the church stands out the mesquite wood stave floor, some religious sculptures carved on wood by Don Inés Olivares, a famous salmantino sculptor, including the "Cristo de Olivares", several oil paintings and altars, such as the main one, a Neoclassic piece from the 19th century. Next to the Parroquia Antigua, in 1981, a chapel
dedicated to the Virgen del Rosario was built even though at present is known as Capilla de Santa Marta. This particular construction stands out for its singular neo-gothic style, the only religious enclosure in Salamanca city that boast this kind of medieval European architecture, except for the one at the parish church in the community of San Jose de Mendoza.
Details
HM NumberHM269A
Tags
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Sunday, March 25th, 2018 at 7:02pm PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)14Q E 270569 N 2276084
Decimal Degrees20.56978333, -101.20091667
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 20° 34.187', W 101° 12.055'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds20° 34' 11.22" N, 101° 12' 3.3" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling East
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 403 Ignacio Allende, Salamanca Guanajuato 36700, MX
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. What year was the marker erected?
  9. Who or what organization placed the marker?
  10. This marker needs at least one picture.
  11. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  12. Is the marker in the median?