In 1910, civilian aviator and inventor Rex Smith came to the airfield. He started the Rex Smith Aeroplane Company and built a hangar on the field.Aviator Rex Smith and employees
In 1911, they were joined by the National Aeroplane Company (NACO), which was formed to give instruction in Wright, Curtiss, and Bleriot machines and to provide repair. NACO was the sole agent for the Curtiss Aeroplanes in the Washington area..
In 1912, two other civilian aviation companies, the Christmas Aeroplane Company and the Washington Aeroplane Company (WAC), established themselves at the field. The WAC, sponsored by Emile Berliner, manufactured the well-known Columbia Bi-Plane.
[Caption on image at top of the marker:]