The Belly Tank
This Nissen Hut is one of the British temporary structures that
served the Allied Forces in England in WWII for housing, administrative and work shops.
It was erected by the Royal Air Force near Saffron Walden, Essex, England on the Debden Aerodrome which became the home of the 4th Fighter Group, 8th AF, U.S. Air Force from 1942 to 1945. It served as the off duty gathering place for enlisted men of the 4th Group, and was known as The "Belly Tank."
The 4th Fighter Group participated in six campaigns in the European Theater and was officially credited with the destruction of 1017 enemy aircraft.
The Association of the 4th Fighter Group pays homage to the RAF for donating the hut to the U.S. Air Force Museum, and to the museum for its erection and reconstruction.
June 18, 1983