The Admiralty anchor in the turnaround behind you is symbolic of the Port Jefferson Village Center, which is the anchor of our community. The iron anchor was found by the / RV (Research Vessel) Seawolf
while trawling in an area south of the entrance to Ambrose Channel.
The anchor dates back to the years between 1890-1910 and is from a vessel that was about 180-feet long and weighed around 1300 tons. This type of anchor was developed by the British Navy (hence Admiralty anchor) in the 1840s, and commonly used by vessels built in Port Jefferson in the 1850s.
The British Navy adopted the "Admiralty Anchor" in the mid-1840s. Also known as a "kedge," the anchor style is still in use for small boats and moorings. It has great holding power in sandy or muddy sea floors.
Ambrose Channel is the main shipping channel in and out of the Port of New York and New Jersey. It is considered to be part of Lower New York Bay and is located several miles off the coasts of Sandy Hook in New Jersey and Breezy Point, Queens, in New York. Ambrose Channel ends at Ambrose Anchorage, just south of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, the gateway to New York Harbor.
Incorporated Village of Port Jefferson
Historic Marker Research and Design
The RV Seawolf, which docks in Port Jefferson, is shown underway. The 80-foot vessel is used for education and research by students in the School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences at Stony Brook University.
Captain Stephen Cluett of the RV Seawolf prepares to remove the Admiralty anchor by crane.