This commercial structure was one of several built between 1908-1913 after a fire destroyed the City Hotel. Merchant James F. Strange had the building constructed during his ownership. The building has remained in the Strange Family and in retail use since construction. Mary Strange Meekins inherited the property from her father, Louis Earle Strange. Upon her death in 2002, her children, C. Douglas Meekins and Patricia Gaye Meekins inherited the building. The property was originally part of Lots 45 and 46 on Stoddert's survey map of 1718. During the mid-18th Century, Henry Woodward owned the land. Owners included Robert Couden, merchant; John Walton, owner, City Hotel in the 19th Century & William T. Inglehart, publisher, Anne Arundel Advisor.