A historic perspective
State Circle & Maryland Ave.
a historic perspective
The Sons of Temperance buy the vacant corner lot.
Temperance Hall is erected, the present two-story brick building.
A grocery store and a market share the 1st floor.
The Sons of Temperance occupy the 2nd floor meeting hall.
The YMCA purchases the building and property for $4,000 and moves into the 2nd floor meeting hall.
The building is occupied by the YMCA, a market, a grocery store, a plumbing business, and a stonecutter who operates from sheds built on the rear half of the lot.
The owner of the plumbing business, Charles A. Howard, purchases the entire property for $8,300 at public auction.
A tailor shop replaces the grocery store and a photography studio opens on the 2nd floor.
A naval uniform and a haberdashery (a men's clothing store) takes over the tailor shop. The tailor remains as shop manager and hires a 19 year old apprentice salesclerk, Richard M. Johnson.
Richard M. Johnson (an employee) buys the building and property at public auction for $16,825, becoming his employers landlord.
Richard M. Johnson (1907-1989) establishes his own naval uniform and menswear store: Johnson's
The family operated business closes in 2008.
At present the Johnson's Building
offers retail and office suites, and continues to be locally owned and maintained for the future by the Johnson/Held family.
Enjoy Annapolis... visit again soon