The 1930 excavations employed WPA laborers to investigate mounds B and C. The archaeologists discovered that the Natchez built these mounds by layers. After using an earthen platform for an undetermined length of time, the Indians added dirt to form new platforms over the old ones, increasing the height of the mounds. In 1962, archaeologists once again examined mounds B and C. In 1972, an archaeological crew studied the plazas between the mounds. Mound A, called the "Abandoned Mound," was not used by the Natchez during the French colonial era. For this reason, archaeologists did very little work at this mound. Today, Mound A remains mostly intact and undisturbed.