Organized 1817.The first pastor (1818-1820), the Rev. Sylvester Larned, built a church in 1819 in the plain Gothic Style on St. Charles Street near Gravier Street, William Brand, Architect-Builder.A Greek Revival style church was erected 1834-1835 on Lafayette Square, its design attributed to George Clarkson, Architect.It burned in 1854 and was replaced (1855-1857) by a splendid Gothic Revival church designed by Henry Howard, Architect and built by George Purves.The noted clergyman, The Rev. Dr. Benjamin Morgan Palmer,
was its pastor from 1856 until his death in 1902.The church was dismantled in 1938 to provide a site for a Federal Building. The congregation moved to this South Claiborne Avenue site, and the church and adjacent Palmer Hall were dedicated on Easter Sunday, April 9, 1939. The architects, Sam Stone, Jr. and Douglas V. Feret, incorporated in the sanctuary some elements from the old church. The bell in the tower was cast in 1856, and from the Lafayette Square Church gave the curfew signal at the time of the Federal occupation of New Orleans during the Civil War.