St. Joseph's ChapelThe original Catholic settlers of Comal Village longed for their own place of worship and school. Peter Ignatz Wenzel donated 3 acres of land for the construction of a school and a chapel. A one room school was built in December 1868 and an expanded (four room) school built in 1885. The latter school was placed on the same site as was the soon to be constructed to St. Joseph's Chapel. The school was closed in 1941 and the building dismantled in 1959. In 1905, St. Joseph's Chapel was built to allow Comal citizens to attend Mass on days following great church feast days and for funerals and baptisms. The chapel was paid for by donations from Comal Catholic farm families, and served as the center for religious education and social gathering. St. Joseph's importance to the larger Catholic community is seen through the unusually large numbers of priests and nuns that eventually originated from the families of the Comal Community. Renovation of the chapel's interior was completed in 2010.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Thursday, February 8th, 2018 at 10:01pm PST -08:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||14R E 575583 N 3279962|
|Decimal Degrees||29.64733333, -98.21908333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 29° 38.84', W 98° 13.145'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||29° 38' 50.4" N, 98° 13' 8.7" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||830, 210|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 6500 FM482, New Braunfels TX 78132, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.