Established 1832Originally known as the Upper Graveyard, Holy Rood Cemetery was established by Holy Trinity Catholic Church in 1832. In 1853, the cemetery was expanded, and in the years following the Civil War improvements were made. A house was added for the sexton, along with a vault, a new gate, a stone retaining wall, and an entrance along High Street, now Wisconsin Avenue. In 1866, the cemetery's name was changed to Holy Rood, taken from the Scottish haly ruid meaning Holy Cross. The cemetery was active until the end of the 20th century and contains approximately 7,000 graves. It is the oldest burial ground of free and enslaved Africans in the city. Of historic interest is the grave of Joseph Neitt (1753-1834), a veteran of the American Revolutionary War. His plot is located along the fence at the western edge of the cemetery. Georgetown University currently owns Holy Rood Cemetery.
|Placed By||Georgetown University|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Tuesday, January 2nd, 2018 at 10:02am PST -08:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 320532 N 4309756|
|Decimal Degrees||38.91838333, -77.07010000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 55.103', W 77° 4.206'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 55' 6.1800000000001" N, 77° 4' 12.36" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 2130 Wisconsin Ave NW, Washington DC 20007, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.