Side AThe Flint store and post office was built on this site in 1895. It was named after Moses E. Flint , and early homesteader. Mr. Flint served as a teamster with General Custer on the 1876 campaign against the Sioux which ended with the Battle of the Little Big Horn. Flint was located on a mail route from the old river town of LaGrace (Campbell County Seat from 1884 -1888) to Mound City *the present Campbell County Seat). Mail was carried on horseback twice weekly. The store also served as a school classroom.
The store was built by the five Parrott brothers and operated by their mother Mrs. Sara Parrott. The Parrott family moved to the area in 1995 and established homesteads on both sides of the present state border.
In 1901 the Minneapolis, St. Paul and Sault Saint Marie Railroad, commonly known as the Soo Line, built a branch into Campbell County from a junction with their main line at Wishek, North Dakota.
Rather than building to existing settlements, the Soo Line established Artas, Herreld, and Pollock along the Spiting Creek Valley. Pollock was named after R.Y. Pollock, a prominent and well respected homesteader.
Residents in the settlements around the new town of Pollock realized that without rail service they would not thrive. Citizens of LaGrace
and Vanderbilt began a mass migration to Pollock as soon as the rail line was completed. The Flint store was moved to Pollock and served as it's first Post Office.
In the 1950's it was the town of Pollock itself which had to be moved. The town's original location was approximately 1 - 1/2 miles west of this marker. The construction of flood control dams on the Missouri River created Lake Pocasse which now covers the original town site. Beginning in 1955, Pollock started its move to the new location on a hill above the water line. The move was completed in 1960 just prior to the creation of Lake Pocasse.