—Creek Heritage Trail —Louisville is one of the oldest communities in southeastern Alabama. Locąted within territory ceded by the Creeks in the Treaty of Fort Jackson (1814) ending the Creek War, the area was first settled by Americans as early as 1817. Many of its early settlers were of Scotch-Irish ancestry. and migrated here from North Carolina. So numerous were they that this area of Barbour County become known as "Little Scotland." According to tradition, the town of Louisville was known originally as "Lewisville" in honor of early settler Daniel Lewis who is reputed to have built the first house in what became the town. By the time of the Second Creek War, the Louisville area had become important regional economic and population center. It boasted several stores, many fine homes, an inn, and three prominent churches (Bethlehem Baptist Church, Pea River Presbyterian Church, and Louisville Methodist Church) which are among the earliest in Barbour County.
|Placed By||The Historic Chattahoochee Commission, the Wiregrass Resource Conservation and Development Council, the University of Alabama Center for Economic Development, and the Town of Louisville|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, December 17th, 2017 at 4:01pm PST -08:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16R E 637023 N 3517895|
|Decimal Degrees||31.78841667, -85.55271667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 31° 47.305', W 85° 33.163'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||31° 47' 18.3" N, 85° 33' 9.7799999999998" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1871 N Main St, Louisville AL 36048, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.