At the 24th annual session of the Sabine Association, Oct. 16, 1871, delegates from the First District petitioned for Letters of Dismission for the purpose of forming the Vernon Baptist Association. Signing for the churches were: Benjamin Franklin and M.H. Stanly for Castor; Elder N.H Bray for Anna Coco; Elder J. Bolton and W.A. Holton for Walnut Hill; elder J.R. O'Banion and J.O Franks for Mt. Vernon and Elder James E. Melton for Comrade, Clementine, Elam, Pleasant Grove and Smyrna. Boundaries of the VBA were the Sabine Association on the north, the Sabine River on the west, the Calcasieu Association on the south and the Red River on the east. VBA's first annual session met with Castor Church Oct. 15, 1872. Elder J.E. Melton's introductory message was from Luke 11:13. On the Sabbath morning Elder Bray brought the missionary message from Romans 10:11-15. Elder Bray was elected Moderator, M..H. Stanly, Clerk and C.D. Collins, Treasurer. Ordained ministers were: Elders Bray, Melton, O'Branion, A.P. Bebee, J. Bolton. B.O. Owens was licentiate. First year membership was 288 with 18 received by baptism. With 295 received by baptism in 2006, the VBA had 12,324 members in 44 churches and had 63 ordained ministers. 3 of the 9 founding churches of 1871 are alive today.