The Midland Valley Railroad Company was incorporated in 1903 and headquartered in Muskogee. This passenger station was built in 1917 and during the 1920's as many as eight trains carrying 9,000 passengers per day traveled from Tulsa to this point. Regular service was also provided to Ft. Smith, Arkansas, Denison, Texas and Wichita, Kansas. Nearby, the railroad built locomotive and car repair shops with facilities and roundhouse to maintain 16 steam engines. At one time coal, crude oil, and farm products made up a sizable portion of the freight carried by this railroad. In the 1930's as passenger traffic declined, this depot was used primarily as a light freight station. In 1964 the Midland Valley, with other shortline railroads, was acquired by the Texas and Pacific, then the Missouri Pacific Company, and in 1983 merged into the Union Pacific Railroad.