The steam engine assembled here is typical of many such engines employed as portable power plants from the time of their introduction 1847 through the 1930's.
This engine was built by the Geiser Manufacturing Company of Waynesboro, Pennsylvania, in 1908. This was their model "P", the largest portable engine the Geiser Company ever made. Only 82 such engines were built, and this one is the only known survivor. The engine was put back into operating condition in 1970 and is capable of running the sawmill attached to it today.The sawmill presently attached to the steam engine is a movable sawmill made in Chattanooga, Tennessee, by the Corley Manufacturing Company, and is commonly called a groundhog mill. Together with the steam engine it illustrates a small, country steam sawmill typical in America during the last half of the 19th-first quarter of the 20th-century. It was last owned and operated by the Varisco Brothers of Hammond, Louisiana.