formerly Part of Henry CountyWater power, fertile land and excellent fishing were major attractions. Early settlers built a sawmill, grist mill and other small industries. The town developed on both sides of the river and flourished in the 1900´s. In 1936 Snapping Shoals Power and Light Co. was the forerunner to Snapping Shoals E.M.C. which later moved to Covington. The original small hydro-turbine generators were still in use in 1996. A new road and bridge diverted traffic away from the town. In 1968, the last general store closed.
|Placed By||The Landmarks Committee, Newton County Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 24th, 2017 at 4:02pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 225280 N 3709214|
|Decimal Degrees||33.48721667, -83.95666667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 33° 29.233', W 83° 57.4'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||33° 29' 13.98" N, 83° 57' 24" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||770, 678|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 5600 GA-81, Covington GA 30016, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.