Formerly Part of Baldwin, Jasper CountiesSettlement began after the 1807 Land Lottery. R. Fretwell, W. Burge, J. Hartwell & S. Gay moved to the area c. 1809. A log church was built for the Methodist in 1820. Rufus Broome, Nestor & John W. Pitts settled with the idea of developing a town. Sandtown (Newborn) became a hub of trade, education and medical care. Newborn Academy / Palmyra Institute was established 1837. John W. Pitts, a Union sympathizer is credited with saving the town from Sherman´s torch by entertaining the General on 11/19/1864. The arrival of the middle Ga. & Atlantic R.R. in 1893 gave a boost to the economy wh`ere cotton dominated until after World War II.
|Placed By||The Landmarks Committee, Newton County Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 24th, 2017 at 4:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 249987 N 3711502|
|Decimal Degrees||33.51388333, -83.69166667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 33° 30.833', W 83° 41.5'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||33° 30' 49.98" N, 83° 41' 30" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||706, 678, 770|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 4400-4440 County Rd 213, Newborn GA 30056, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.