From Military Base to National Park
In 1947, Fort Moultrie Military Reservation was closed as static seacoast defensive positions became obsolete. While Fort Sumter became a National Monument in 1948, Fort Moultrie and the rest of the reservation was divided up and either transferred to state and local governments or sold in lots to the public.
Following the military's departure, the Town of Sullivan's Island prospered into the coastal island community you visit today. Fort Moultrie, on the other hand, was relatively forgotten and abandoned.
In 1960, the state of South Carolina transferred Fort Moultrie to the National Park Service as a unit of Fort Sumter National Monument. The site was initially opened as a National Park unit on April 1, 1963. Ten years later the fort went through a major restoration project in conjunction with the Bicentennial of the American Revolution.
On June 28, 1976, Fort Moultrie officially reopened to the public, with the addition of a visitor center across the street.
The National Park Service's mission is to preserve and protect unimpaired the natural and cultural resources and values of the national park system for the enjoyment, education, and inspiration of this and future generations.
For More Information: Visit our