Second Spanish Colonial Period, Built ca. 1815Building patterns were influenced by the royal decree of 1573 to situate buildings and walls along the street edge for defensive purposes. The Prince Murat house is one of the remaining Spanish Colonial buildings and is significant for its characteristic colonial site plan and coquina stone construction protected under a stucco finish. Attic windows, or dormers, were a later addition and document the building's historic evolution. Napoleon's nephew, Prince Napoleon Achille Murat and Ralph Waldo Emerson were among the guests of owner Antonio Canova in 1827 when both visited St. Augustine for their health. Kenneth Dow acquired the property in 1941 and resided there for more than 40 years.
|Placed By||City of St. Augustine|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 16th, 2017 at 7:01am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17R E 469876 N 3306604|
|Decimal Degrees||29.88970000, -81.31198333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 29° 53.382', W 81° 18.719'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||29° 53' 22.92" N, 81° 18' 43.14" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 250 St George St, St. Augustine FL 32084, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.