The Sisters of Mercy established Luzerne County's first four-year institution of higher learning on nearly 100 acres of land on this site, purchased on behalf of the Sisters in 1914.
On August 14, 1924, 2,500 people witnessed the dedication of College Misericordia. On Mercy Day, September 24, 1924, thirty-seven students began their collegiate studies sharing the Sister's motto Mulier Fortis or Valiant Woman.
College Misericordia was founded as, and continues to be, a broad-based college offering superior education to those of all faiths. It is still located on the original grounds, but has expanded to 120 acres.