The development of McCammon was closely associated with the transportation industry. William Murphy, in early 1863, built the first toll bridge, and McCammon became the nucleus of the Overland Stage Lines. H.O. Harkness acquired the toll bridge after the death of William Murphy. In 1881, Utah Northern Railroad purchased the right-of-way and named the rail station for U.S. Assistant Attorney General J.K. McCammon, who had negotiated a peace agreement with the Shoshone and Bannock Tribes in 1867. In 1881, Union Pacific Railroad constructed a line from McCammon northward to the mining country of Montana. Postal service began in 1883. The first frame building, built in 1885, had two rooms with a platform on three sides. John J. Stewing was the first telegraph operator and station agent. The depot became a focal point for business and social life of the growing community. Immigrant pioneers found work freighting, farming, and ranching. McCammon became a railroad junction in 1892, joining the Oregon Short Line and Utah Northern Railroads. "Junction City" as McCammon was frequently called, became the chief dispatch center. With increased business, a larger station was built by John Hood, Harry Skinner, Henry and Albert Lish, Albert Henson, Joel Lewis, John Hallen, George Gittins Sr. and Jr. and Edwin and Eddie Gittins. The new depot was divided
into thirds: A waiting room for passengers with a round coal stove for heat; a center room was an office and contained the telegraph and ticket window; the north end stored mail bags, express packages, and a large safe for money. The door leading from the waiting room into the office as locked and barred. The south end was freight room where large and heavy freight was kept under lock and key. The local hotel and businesses accommodated travelers' needs. U.S. mail was received and dispatched three times daily. A modern depot was erected in 1900, adding larger rooms and customer amenities. The building now serves as McCammon's City Hall. The old depot building was moved west of the tracks and used as a freight house.