Richmond Hill was an early name for Church Hill.
Richard Adams, one of the most prominent men in
Richmond, built a house on this site by the 1790s,
and a second house, still standing, was constructed
here about 1810. William Taylor remodeled this
residence in the Italianate style in 1859, adding
the second story and porches. In 1866, the Order
of the Sisters of the Visitation of Holy Mary
established a monastery and school here, and they
erected a chapel in 1894-95. The monastery,
known as Monte Maria, was purchased in 1987 by
an ecumenical Christian community, which named
the property Richmond Hill and opened it as a
retreat center and place of prayer for the city.