The Mann Block, built in 1890, originally housed one of the many saloons located in this block during Baker City's early, rowdy years. Like most of the establishments, the saloon operated on the first floor, with a bawdy house and gambling rooms above. The business, first known as P.A. Mann's Resort, also was a distributorship for Weinhardt's beer and Cyrus Noble liquor, and these brand names were painted prominently on three sides of the building.
Before the building was constructed, Peter Mann had operated a tonsorial parlor (barber shop) in a wood building on the property. He began to invest in area mines and real estate, and eventually became wealthy.
For many years, the original building facade was covered by a plaster front. Restoration of the building's original features began in 1994.