circa 1900Originally located on Court Street on the east-west route of the Union Pacific Railroad, this building was once used as a freight depot and it is one of the last train depots of its kind in Louisiana. The depot was used until the late 1980s, when Union Pacific decided to close the nearly one hundred old facility. The first railroad to come to Opelousas was Morgan's Louisiana and Texas Railroad, which later became a part of Southern Pacific Railroad, providing passenger and freight service in the fall of 1880. Recognizing the importance that the railroad industry played in the development of Opelousas, the Opelousas Tourism and Activities Committee appealed to Union Pacific to save the building. Union Pacific donated the old depot to the city in 1990, and a year later it was relocated to the village.The Opelousas - St. Landry Chamber of Commerce and Friends of the Chamber raised money and sponsored the move of the depot to Le Vieux Village.
|Placed By||City of Opelousas, Louisiana|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 2nd, 2017 at 7:02am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15R E 588770 N 3378057|
|Decimal Degrees||30.53160000, -92.07465000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 30° 31.896', W 92° 4.479'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||30° 31' 53.76" N, 92° 4' 28.74" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 801-865 US-190, Opelousas LA 70570, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.