Many Roman Catholics came into the area during the oil boom which began in 1859. The Reverend Father DeLarouque, who had been presiding over mass in a cooper shop, decided a church was needed. Ground was broken on this property in 1862 and the building was completed in 1864. In 1929 the congregation decided to erect a new church at another site, but the Great Depression caused a revision in plans which would "renew the original St. Titus, preserving the sacred building so dear to them in their blessed joys and greifs." (History of St. Titus Church) Preserving the original church reqired [sic] surrounding it with the new church in such a way that the original still stands within the walls of today's church. [captions] The altar as it looked for Christmas 1908. The interior was completely renovated in 1996 in conformity with the suggestions of the Second Vatican Council, but without damage to the church's original integrity. St. Titus Parochial School, 1866-2007. C. 1890. The first Roman Catholic school in Titusville was started by the Sisters of Mercy in 1871 as a boarding and day school for girls. Education was provided from elementary to post graduate school. In 1932 boys were admitted to the elementary school, and the high school became co-educational. St. Joseph Academy, where the
Sister of Mercy lived and taught, was located adjacent to St. Titus Church. The razing of this building was completed in February 1974. The original St. Titus Church which was incorporated into the current structure. C. 1864.