circa 1840The La Chapelle house stood at the corner of Union and Grolee streets in Opelousas for more that a century. Clerk of Court records indicate the home was built by Herbert La Chapelle, a French Canadian who moved to Opelousas where he purchased land on October 18, 1822. His daughter, Marguerite La Chapelle, sold the home January 31, 1846 to Jules Mistric.The house was built by free people of color. The front part of the house has French doors and windows and a staircase called a garconniere in French. The garconniere is used to gain access to the attic, a place where the boys slept in these types of homesFrom the 1800s to 1990, the home was owned by a succession of at least twelve families, including Bouvet, Husband, Pefferkorn and Perkins.The house was used by the Opelousas Art League for several years. Eventually, the property was purchased by Dr. Van Christian, who later donated the house to the City of Opelousas. The Preservationists of St. Landry and the Opelousas Woman's Club provided funding for the structure to be moved to Le Vieux Village in 1991.
|Placed By||City of Opelousas, Louisiana|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Wednesday, August 30th, 2017 at 7:02pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15R E 588784 N 3378070|
|Decimal Degrees||30.53171667, -92.07450000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 30° 31.903', W 92° 4.47'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||30° 31' 54.18" N, 92° 4' 28.2" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 801-865 US-190, Opelousas LA 70570, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.