A Georgia Equalization SchoolWillow Hill School was established in 1874 during Reconstruction as one of the first schools for African Americans in Bulloch County. It was privately supported until being sold to the local Board of Education in 1920. In 1954 the county built a new "equalization" school as part of a statewide strategy to resist federally mandated integration. These schools addressed blatant geographic and racial disparities in education with new, modern (but still segregated) facilities and improved curricula. Willow Hill was one of five such African-American schools in Bulloch County and consolidated several older rural schools: Bennett Grove, Scarboro Grove, Rehovia, Gays Grove, Free Chapel, and Johnson Grove. The school closed in 1969 as part of the county's desegregation plan, and the students and faculty sent elsewhere. It reopened as an integrated intermediate school in 1971 with new faculty.
|Placed By||The Georgia Historical Society, Willow Hill Heritage and Renaissance Center, and the Georgia Natural Resources Foundation|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Wednesday, August 30th, 2017 at 4:02pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 415674 N 3597723|
|Decimal Degrees||32.51361667, -81.89778333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 32° 30.817', W 81° 53.867'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||32° 30' 49.02" N, 81° 53' 52.02" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 4101 Willow Hill Rd, Portal GA 30450, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.