Three miles west stood St. John's Protestant
Episcopal Church of Cumberland Parish. Bishop
William Meade consecrated the building, later
known as St. John's Woodend, in 1832. The Rev.
Charles C. Taliaferro was its first minister. The
church's predecessor, Flat Rock Church, had been
built by 1760. With its recessed entrance and low
church chancel arrangement, St. John's reflected
the distinctive style of church architecture then
popular in Virginia. The congregation dispersed by
1963. The legacy of parish records, communion
silver, stained glass windows, and stewardship of
the cemetery passed to the Episcopal Church of
St. Paul and St. Andrew, in Kenbridge.