circa 1908This turn of the century doctor's office, built by Dr. Ertemon Lafleur, was originally located one mile west of the junction of Louisiana highways 103 and 104 in the community of Prairie Ronde. The office is a reminder of how medical practice has changed in rural Louisiana.In this quaint little building, Dr. Ertemon Lafleur did a little of everything from delivering babies to performing surgeries and pulling teeth. He also mixed and dispensed medicine. Money was scarce back then and often timed payment for services was received in the form of goods like chicken. eggs, pork, beef, grain and labor.In those early years, doctors still made house calls. so Dr. Ertemon traveled to see patients by way of horse and buggy. As time moved forward and roads improved, the doctor was able to buy a car, which he ordered by mail from Sears, Roebuck and Co.Dr. Ertemon practiced medicine up until the time of his death in 1946.When he died, his son, Nathan Curtis, took over the practice. Dr. N.C. Lafleur practiced medicine in the building until 1985. He died a year later.The building was donated to Le Vieux Village by the family of the late Dr. N.C. Lafleur. In 1991, this building was relocated to the village. The move was sponsored by the Opelousas Woman's Club and area physicians and medical professionals.
|Placed By||City of Opelousas, Louisiana|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, August 28th, 2017 at 4:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15R E 588821 N 3378069|
|Decimal Degrees||30.53170000, -92.07411667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 30° 31.902', W 92° 4.447'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||30° 31' 54.12" N, 92° 4' 26.82" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 801-865 US-190, Opelousas LA 70570, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.